Yesterday, Austin NOW & Williamson County NOW Task Force launched our Adopt-a-CPC initiative with the help of dedicated NOW volunteers and members of the Austin chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America. We are incredibly excited to get this project off the ground!
- Spreading awareness of CPCs and the harm they do to people who can get pregnant via the lies they tell about abortion, birth control, and reproductive healthcare;
- Drawing attention to Carol Everett and The Heidi Group, and their evangelical agenda to use taxpayer money to fund CPCs and ineffective abstinence-only education; and
- Encouraging citizens of Central Texas to pressure local & state governments to STOP sending taxpayer money to right-wing evangelical groups like The Heidi Group and to STOP putting unqualified, greedy fear-mongers like Carol Everett on committees in Texas government in a clear violation of the separation of church & state.
WHAT WE DO:
- NOW members sign up to “adopt” a CPC, pledging to protest the CPC at least twice monthly for a total of at least 4 hours.
- CPC adopters agree to abide by rules of procedure and non-engagement with CPC employees/volunteers and anyone looking to argue and will be non-confrontational & law abiding at all times.
- Austin or WilCo NOW will provide signs & materials for protesting CPCs and recruiting additional members/spreading awareness to passersby and potential CPC clients.
Our training in Round Rock went fabulously, and afterwards we were able to protest The Heidi Group’s offices as well as march down the street to a CPC associated with Carol Everett and protest them, too!
If you are interested in volunteering for the Adopt-a-CPC program, please contact Lexie at AustinAreaNOW@gmail.com if you are in Travis County or Sharol at NOWWilCo@gmail.com if you are in Williamson County.
If you don’t live in Travis or Williamson County but you’d like to bring the Adopt-a-CPC program to your neck of the woods, send an email to either one of us or message us on Facebook (ATX or WilCo).
The Rally For Life is an annual gathering of anti-abortion proponents in cities around the U.S. every year. We had our very own Texas RFL at the Capitol this year, and Austin NOW members were there to protest!
We want to thank everyone who came out to tell anti-abortioners that reproductive rights are human rights, and we will NOT be silent in the face of oppression!
What an amazing weekend!! Between the One Resistance march, Women’s March, and the Roe v Wade anniversary rally… Y’all, we are all exhausted, so I’m just gonna leave these photos here!
Inauguration Weekend is nearly upon us. For many of us, marching on the Capitol (whether U.S. or state) represents more than “just” a protest. The events of this weekend will serve as a launching point for our resistance over the next 4 years.
Texas State NOW (including Houston NOW, Austin NOW, WilCo NOW, San Antonio NOW, and Dallas NOW) invites you to join us this weekend as we come together to stand united against the Trump administration and the hatred the president-elect and his fellows have spawned.
We are packed full with an event every day this weekend! Below is our schedule of events. (Be sure to RSVP to march or rally with us on Facebook/Meetup if you haven’t already!)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20
ONE RESISTANCE MARCH
5:00PM at Auditorium Shores
*Meet NOW members in the parking lot–look for NOW rounds*
RSVP to march with us!
SATURDAY, JANUARY 21
WOMEN’S MARCH ON AUSTIN
12:00PM South Steps of the Capitol
*Meet NOW members at the Eastern Drinking Fountain
to the right of the South Steps*
RSVP to march with us!
SUNDAY, JANUARY 22
44th ROE V WADE CELEBRATION RALLY
1:00PM Texas Capitol Building
*Austin NOW & WilCo NOW will be tabling at this event near the Capitol steps! Look for the NOW rounds & come say hi!*
RSVP to rally with us!
WHAT: A thousand women PLAYING DEAD in protest of the new “fetal remains” ruling in Texas
Monday, December 19, 2016 Friday, January 6, 2017 @ 11am
WHERE: 1010 Colorado St., Austin, TX (Governor’s Mansion)
We will be meeting in front of the Governor’s Mansion to PLAY DEAD in a silent, peaceful protest against the new fetal remains ruling which mandates that the remains of every terminated pregnancy in Texas, whether by miscarriage or abortion, be cremated or buried at cost to the pregnant individual/healthcare facilities caring for the individual.
We strongly encourage men/people who cannot get pregnant/allies to attend and hold signs in protest. (We can provide signs or banners for you to hold if you want, or you can bring your own.)
Link to the Facebook event here
Organizing and protesting is all fun and great, but sometimes I just wanna unwind with a stiff drink & some french fries after holding a sign that says GREG ABBOTT HATES WOMEN in front of traffic for 4 hours.
Austin NOW & WilCo NOW are growing and we want to get to know all of you outside of the hard work that we do! So let’s hang out at Stinson’s and talk about feminism, or immigration issues, or the merits of Kit Harrington’s beard, or whatever. Only rule is there will be no organizing talk. We just wanna chill with y’all.
This is NOT for members only–anyone who wants to come is welcome. Bring a friend, SO, family member, whatever, we don’t mind. Just make sure to RSVP here or via email so that we know if we need to give Stinson’s a heads-up.
This will probably turn into a monthly thing, alternating between a location in Austin & somewhere TBA in WilCo.
WHAT: Feminist “Unhappy” Hour
WHERE: Stinson’s Bistro, 4416 Burnet Rd., Austin, TX
WHEN: Saturday, January 14, 2017 @ 8:30-10:30pm
Had a great protest this morning. It’s amazing what a little bit of excitement and positive energy can do!! (Tacos, donuts, & coffee along with tons of supportive honks helped, too.)
Thanks to everyone who came out to spread awareness of the Fake Clinic epidemic! Had a great time meeting and talking to all of you!
(Image credit to Zoë Fay-Stindt & Larisa Manescu)
Members protest a “Fake Clinic” on Manchaca
As we mentioned in our meeting on December 4, we are going to be resuming our (relatively) regular protests of South Austin Pregnancy Resource Center, beginning this Saturday, December 10.
Here are our future dates for December & January:
DECEMBER 2016 & JANUARY 2017 PROTEST DATES
WHEN: Saturdays, December 10, 17; January 14, 21, 28 @ 10:00AM – 1:00PM
WHERE: South Austin Pregnancy Resource Center
4611 Manchaca Rd.
Austin, TX 78745
Facebook events for: December 10, December 17, January 14, January 21, January 28
(What’s a Fake Clinic? Why are we doing this? See Fake Clinic FAQ for more information!)
Steph & Portia
WHERE: ChoiceWorks (Whole Woman’s Health)
8401 N. IH 35
Austin, TX 78753
*The second building to the right (to the back a bit) is the building where we will be meeting. Look for the orange Austin NOW meeting signs!
WHEN: Sunday, December 4, 2016 @ 2:00pm
WHAT: Austin NOW’s December Organizing Meeting! If you haven’t been to a meeting before, this is where we brainstorm, discuss, and then plan our action(s) for the coming month. The December meeting will hopefully include organized plans for the first several months of 2017.
In an effort to keep the meeting going and make efficient use of everyone’s time, the officers will present a general agenda for the meeting at the very beginning. We ask that everyone please be respectful and follow the agenda–especially when asked politely to yield the floor. If we get caught up talking about things and need to move on to planning, please cooperate and allow the group to continue when asked so that everyone will get a chance to share, participate, and be included in the entire meeting (rather than having to leave before things are settled because we’re going overtime).
*UPDATE: We will be hosting special guest speaker for the first 15-20 minutes of the meeting! Make sure to get there on time to listen to him talk!
SEE Y’ALL THERE!
“Unhappy Hour” event at Stinson’s Nov. 16
“Unhappy Hour” event at Stinson’s Nov. 16
Wow! Hello to everyone who has emailed, messaged, commented, and followed us in the past couple of weeks–we are so overwhelmed and grateful for all of you and your interest in NOW!
A few things:
- OUR NEXT MEETING will be on Sunday, December 4 at 2:00pm at 8401 N. IH35, Austin, TX 78752 (ChoiceWorks/Whole Woman’s Health). Google Maps will say that this place is permanently closed–we will be open, don’t worry. There is parking out front and in the street.
- We want to keep the momentum going! If you are interested in helping us grow from the tiny chapter we have been into a robust, hugely-supported feminist grassroots group, PLEASE continue to participate in Austin NOW events!
- While we absolutely love and support large progressive organizations like Planned Parenthood, NARAL, Travis County Democrats, etc., we want to keep our identity as an action-oriented grassroots organization with our OWN events and initiatives. That means that while we may occasionally partner with smaller groups or be happy to throw our name out in support of events by larger groups, our main purpose is NOT to only volunteer for other organizations! We are committed to action NOW, and our own organization, and that means taking charge ourselves!
- Our email list is now so large that we cannot use it as we were before–we are therefore looking into mass-emailing options. Please be patient with us while we research this and find a solution so that we can get back to sending out regular newsletters!
If you would like to join NOW and haven’t gotten a chance to yet, you can do so here via our website (fillable/printable form) OR via the National NOW page–just make sure you specify Austin NOW as your local chapter.
(You can also give your filled-out form & dues to officers Lexie or Sharol at the next NOW event and they will make sure your stuff gets to the right place.)
We’ll be in touch soon!!